Summer is close to halfway over, Fall will be here soon, with winter right around the corner. Living in the Midwest should have conditioned us to be prepared for winter, but the first snow always seems to catch most of us by surprise.
In this guide, we will look at a few tips you can use to prepare your business or even your home for the winter. It is much easier to protect your business and home when you are prepared ahead of time!
1. Have rock salt, sand, or other de-icers for your sidewalk or entrance to your business. Snow can seemingly come out of nowhere in the Midwest, so be prepared to keep your sidewalk safe from slipping. Accidents happen, but this way you can hopefully prevent as many as possible!
2. Consider buying a power generator. If your power goes out due to severe winter weather, having a power generator will be a lifesaver! This purchase could help you in a tough winter situation or if there are power issues throughout the year. Having a backup power generator is a great investment!
3. Make sure your heating and air systems are properly functioning. A great way to stay ahead of winter is having your plumber or HVAC specialist check your heating/cooling systems and plumbing. Frozen pipes can burst and cause expensive damage to your business. Another tip would be to make sure your pipes are properly insulated. It is inexpensive to insulate your pipes and it could save you a lot of hassle during winter.
4. Have winter survival supplies. In the rare case that your employees or customers will be stranded at your business, it would be wise to have a contingency plan. Here is a list of supplies that could help you in a winter worst-case scenario.
-Flashlights, candles, or flares
-Non-perishable food and water
-Warm clothes and blankets
5. Make sure you have the contact information of your local snow plowing and shoveling service. If you live in Roseville, Falcon Heights, and Lauderdale, MN (55113), RTD Snow Plowing has you covered for snow blowing, plowing, and shoveling! Reach out at 651-699-3504 so we can help!
Snow is probably the last thing on your mind right now, but it is important to be ready when the weather gets cold. Here at RTD we are happy to help make winter easier on you, but there are things you can be doing now to save you stress!
Here are a few tips from RTD to keep your home in good shape, even during the worst of winter storms.
1. Check your gutters! Make sure your gutters are clean and functioning correctly before the winter. When gutters backup and overflow, the water from your roof can leak into your home. Clean gutters can save your basement from water infiltration this winter.
2. Check your home's heating and ventilation systems during the summer. This seems obvious, but it would be wise to have an HVAC contractor check the conditions of your heating systems before the winter hits. It might be worth looking into an annual maintenance agreement for a better price and to guarantee your heat will work every winter!
3. Clean your chimney! Having your chimney clean now will make sure your fireplace is safe to use when the temperatures drop. It is also important to have your chimney inspected to fix any possible issues before the winter. Stock up on firewood now to have a nice time later warming up next to the fire.
4. Have a shovel handy and salt/sand/deicer. RTD is happy to help shovel and remove snow and ice, but it is nice to have a shovel on hand. Check your local store for a shovel before they are sold out in the winter!
5. Have a winter wardrobe. Gained weight, lost weight, or have children who grew over the summer? Now is the time to make a list of what clothes you need this winter. Stay warm this winter!
We would love to help make winter easier on you and your family this winter! If you live in Roseville, Falcon Heights, and Lauderdale, MN (55113), RTD Snow Plowing has you covered for snow blowing, plowing, and shoveling!