Summer is close to halfway over, Fall will be here soon, with winter right around the corner. Living in the Midwest should have conditioned us to be prepared for winter, but the first snow always seems to catch most of us by surprise.
In this guide, we will look at a few tips you can use to prepare your business or even your home for the winter. It is much easier to protect your business and home when you are prepared ahead of time!
1. Have rock salt, sand, or other de-icers for your sidewalk or entrance to your business. Snow can seemingly come out of nowhere in the Midwest, so be prepared to keep your sidewalk safe from slipping. Accidents happen, but this way you can hopefully prevent as many as possible!
2. Consider buying a power generator. If your power goes out due to severe winter weather, having a power generator will be a lifesaver! This purchase could help you in a tough winter situation or if there are power issues throughout the year. Having a backup power generator is a great investment!
3. Make sure your heating and air systems are properly functioning. A great way to stay ahead of winter is having your plumber or HVAC specialist check your heating/cooling systems and plumbing. Frozen pipes can burst and cause expensive damage to your business. Another tip would be to make sure your pipes are properly insulated. It is inexpensive to insulate your pipes and it could save you a lot of hassle during winter.
4. Have winter survival supplies. In the rare case that your employees or customers will be stranded at your business, it would be wise to have a contingency plan. Here is a list of supplies that could help you in a winter worst-case scenario.
-Flashlights, candles, or flares
-Non-perishable food and water
-Warm clothes and blankets
5. Make sure you have the contact information of your local snow plowing and shoveling service. If you live in Roseville, Falcon Heights, and Lauderdale, MN (55113), RTD Snow Plowing has you covered for snow blowing, plowing, and shoveling! Reach out at 651-699-3504 so we can help!